Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

positively lovely

the past few days have been relatively blissful.  luke's off (school) work for the summer and so we've both had time to sleep in, watch tv, make coffee in our new coffee maker (of which we are so proud), run errands, clean up the place and just generally not be racing all over the city.  i'm going in to nanny/personal assist in the afternoons, because i felt so guilty about bailing on the rest of the summer that i didn't want to leave until they found a replacement, but even having that 2 pm commitment isn't bringing me down - i feel like i'm genuinely taking time for myself, so that's been lovely.

the other day, as i was dropping off the boy i look after at one of his post-camp activities, i ran into a little girl from my kindergarten class, who froze when she saw me and then screamed my name and hugged me.  we made a huge scene in the office of this post-camp activity and she started to cry.  she was so excited to see me, it was incredibly adorable.  i think i'd have a hard time explaining this to anyone except another person who'd worked in an intense classroom setting, but i feel like i really bonded with the kids (most of them, anyway) and it was very, very sad for me to say goodbye to them, knowing like i did that i won't be coming back to work at their school next year.  thus, it was fabulous to see her and i was very pleased she was as excited to see me.

last night, josh and i went to see aretha franklin perform at the hollywood bowl, something i read today online she hasn't done in 35 years.  it was a pretty spectacular show, except for the fact that it ran long and i'm no longer the incredible night owl i once was.  i've known for a long time that i can get pretty damn near drunk on sleepiness, and as i drove my car back from josh's house near the beach where it was parked, i had to force myself to focus on the road.  and i spent all of today recovering from my super rebellious concert experience, during which i sat smack in the middle of tons of baby boomers who were actually getting drunk.  anyway, long story short, the concert was great, i'm just prematurely boring.

also also, i'm scheduled to meet on monday with the woman i'll be co-teaching with at the preschool over the summer and through the school year and i'm so excited.  thrilled, to be exact.  i've moved on to my "phase 2" baby hats and can now weave color patterns into the fabric - i am very proud of this accomplishment.  and, luke and i have some appointments to check out wedding locations in the mountains, so i feel like i'm making serious wedding progress too.  yipee!

life's shaping up very nicely at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm famous!